Monday, November 2, 2009

Social Justice




When I think of social justice I think of advantages and disadvantages within a society. I never really thought about it, withing a classroom setting. I think after reading both articles I strongly think teaching social justice is an important topic for students to hear about. In the article Teaching for Social Justice by Herbert Kohl he says that social justice teachers are people who teach children about the poor, or children dying young and living in a meaningless life. Children today don't get enough education on social justice and I don't think they ask enough questions either. Young children do not know how important it is to learn about whats important to fight for and what is the true meaning of "whats fair."

The article called Introduction: Creating Classrooms for Equity and Social Justice is a good article in that it basically tells you what we can do. The article states that "Classrooms can be places of hope, where students and teachers gain glimpses of the kind of society we could lice in and where students learn the academic and critical skills needed to make it a reality." I believe this is true because a classroom is a setting of different people and full of different stories. Students don't just learn the subjects of math or science, but of different cultures, races, and coming together as a society.

Both articles pretty much give examples of how to be a social justice teacher. The article by Herbet Kohl gives you little tips of what makes a good teacher. For example he says to just be yourself and don't surround your self with books and rules. He also states that it is important to know what your teaching and learn as many different ways of teaching as possible. Lastly you have to keep an eye out on your students and realize what works best for them and what makes them learn. The other article gives specific headings that relate to social justice. Each one gives a little explaniation of what students should do and what teachers should do for their classrooms.

What is important to me is that I think social justice is not a hot topic today. I think I will definatly teach my students about social justice, because I want them to learn about society and what's right from wrong. I think it is important for students to learn the causes of what is condisered "fair" and the values/benefits of learning about social justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment